Warm avocado doesn’t sound quite right, does it?
I’ve seen a couple baked avocados and eggs recipes pop up quite a lot on blogs, articles and even Pinterest. I was a little torn on how this might taste, but I decided to give it a shot. It’s healthy, easy and easy. For anyone following a paleo diet, this recipe can easily slide into one of your meal plans.
I love avocados and always have some in the house, they are so deliciously creamy. Not only does this recipe allow me to enjoy some avocados, but enjoy a healthy breakfast which included an egg with the yolk still in it which made me even more excited to try it out.
Whenever I mention eggs to my friends who are super healthy eaters all I hear is ‘ did you remove the yolk?’ or ‘ did you have eggs whites?’. It turns out the average egg yolk has over 300 whopping calories in it!
When did eggs turn against me? They used to be my friend especially on a Sunday morning or after a night with one too many cocktails. Having a gluten intolerance sometimes means my options are already limited and as a person who has grown up eating cereal and toast every morning, it has been quite a hard transition giving up gluten and eating healthy. Luckily, I’m learning new recipes everyday.
Anyway enough of my rambling, check out the recipe below. I kept it pretty simple and plain as this is my first time trying it out. Maybe next time, I’ll be more adventurous and creative.
Baked Avocados With Toast
Top Tip: Do not be afraid to scoop out generous amounts of the avocado, the eggs need to fit in that space.
- Two ripe large avocados
- 4 small eggs ( If the eggs are too big, they will not fit)
- Chives, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, to season
- Slice each avocado in half and scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of avocado flesh. (Don’t forget to remove the pit!)
- Crack the eggs into the avocado – Try and get the yolk in and the egg white after or this will not cook how it is meant to and will end up taking longer than expected because yolk will cook first and the whites will set after, my first attempt ended up like that and it wasn’t great.
- Season with sea salt, place the avocados in a tray and pop into the oven. It will take about 15-25 minutes depending, on the size of your egg, avocado and how long it takes for the egg white to set properly.
- Once cooked, season with black pepper and chives
This can be enjoyed by itself like I did or you can spread it on toast.
Personally, I think I may need to experiment with this recipe to find the right fit. I like the fact it’s quick and easy, not completely sold on the warm fruit front. Absolutely loved it once it cooled down a bit it was so delicious, my mouth was so happy to be enjoying egg yolk again and combined with the avocado it tasted great.
Have a go trying this recipe and download the printable version here : Baked Avocados With Eggs